How to Store Raw Chicken in Fridge?
Make sure your chicken is cold – always
If you are planning to buy stored chicken packages from a store, make sure it is extremely cold. People who wish to store chicken in their fridge for everyday use must ensure to buy it fresh, which is often hard to get when shopping at a store. You can instead order fresh chicken online from stores like Deli Chic.
Once you receive the ordered chicken, make sure you place it in your refrigerator immediately. The fridge needs to maintain a temperature of 4 degrees Celsius (40F) or lower. Chicken stored that way needs to be cooked within 48 hours. If you want it to taste fresh, it is always recommended to use it the same day. If you want to use it the next day, make sure you place it in a bag and freeze it.
Understanding the Dos and Don’ts of Thawing Frozen Chicken
When you learn to store raw chicken in the fridge, it is also important to know who to thaw it perfectly. Firstly, do not defrost frozen chicken using a microwave or over a counter. Though you find various tricks that lead to thawing chicken in a microwave, do not do that. This also applies if your microwave has an option of defrosting.
Once the chicken thaws, do not store it for more than a day and make sure to use it within 24 hours. If you cannot, make sure you at least toss it before storing it. If you have to use the frozen chicken as you forgot to thaw it, you can cook it directly in its frozen condition. Though it is not the ideal cooking process, it is good to handle an emergency.
How to store raw chicken?
Storage temperatures to store various types of fresh raw chicken
- Raw packed chicken can be stored in the refrigerator in its actual wrapping. Make sure you place it in the coldest part of the fridge. Make sure to use it within a day or two. If you want to store it for a longer duration, place it in the freezer instead.
- Fresh, raw chicken needs to be placed in the lowest shelf of your fridge. This prevents it from dripping into other items.
- If you wish to prevent the occurrence of a freezer burn, wrap the chicken pieces in a plastic bag or a foil. Place all these pieces in a large freezer bag. Remove all the air and add a label with the date they were frozen.
- Chicken parts like drumsticks or breasts can be stored in the refrigerator for about 2-3 days and in the freezer for up to 9 months.
- Chicken sausages can be stored in the freezer for one or two months and in the fridge for a day or two.
- Giblets and ground chicken can be stored in the fridge for 1 or 2 days and in the freezer for 2-3 months.
- A fresh whole chicken can be stored in the fridge for a day or two and in the freezer for nine months to a year.
Instead of storing chicken for days, you can order fresh chicken and other meats online with ease. Deli Chic provides online delivery of fresh, halal meat right to your doorstep. Customers get to choose from chicken cuts, whole chicken, heat and eat foods, and more.
Now that you know how to store raw chicken in the fridge do give it a try. If you are unsure about the whole process, just ditch the process and order chicken online, fresh every day.